Thursday, January 24, 2008

Walk In Love

If you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from His love, if any fellowship with the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose. Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also the interests of others. (Philippians 2:1-4)

This verse always serves as such a sobering reminder that I am often times not obedient to Christ's commands. The greatest command He gave us to live by is to walk in love. Yet I often struggle the most with this one "order from headquarters" (Rick Beddingfield). Of course Jesus wants us to follow all ten commandments, but he tells us that all of those commandments can be summed up in one great commandment, Jesus replied, "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'" If I speak in tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, i am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing. (1 Corinthians 13:1-3)

Make an effort today to walk in love in all that you do. This does not mean that you have to "like" everyone you see but you must love them anyway. As Rick Beddingfield said in last nights' sermon, "God does not believe a word you say, He believes what you do." Action is obedience. Be obedient to Christ today by choosing to walk in love!

No comments: