Tuesday, February 5, 2008

When we lose the ones we love

My grandmother passed away this morning after a seven year battle with cancer. Although this is difficult for me and my family, I cannot describe how utterly amazing it is to feel the peace that God has given me in my time of grief. Although in my flesh I am sad and experiencing loss, my Spirit man feels nothing but joy and gain. For I know that Nana has gone home to meet our Marvelous Father who has set aside a special place for her next to Christ. For all of you who are struggling with the loss of a loved one, just know that God can bring peace even amidst the darkest despair. Though weeping may last for the night, joy comes in the morning (Psalm 30:5)

One of my closest friends in Christ, ( I love you Nick!) reminded me of 2 Corinthians 5:1-10 which brings great encouragement to anyone who has lost someone they love:

Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. Now it is God who has made us for this very purpose and has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body, we are away from the Lord. We live by faith, not by sight. We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. So we make it our goal to please him whether we are at home in the body or away from it. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

I know that my Grandmother is seated with Christ in heavenly places and that by leaving her body here on earth, she went home with the Lord. We wear our tents, or our earth suits only for a time until we our called home by our Father. This brings great comfort to my heart and hopefully comfort to others who knew her. My grandmother was a very special lady who shined so brightly during her time here on earth. And although the world may seem a little more dim without her, heaven will be sparkling that much more now that she has entered its glorious gates. I know that God is smiling at her, the way He is smiling at all of His children here on earth. I am pleased that Nana will finally get her chance to hear the words "Well done, my good and faithful servant." To God be all the glory!!!!

No comments: