Thursday, February 21, 2008

We Can't Escape Him

Therefore, you kings, be wise; be warned, you rulers of the earth. Serve the Lord with fear and trembling. Kiss the Son, lest He be angry and you be destroyed in your way (Psalm 2:10-12).

No matter what we do or how we act in our lives, we can't escape the mighty hand of God. He is ever present and always watching. Even when we don't feel like He is, He is right there watching over our every thought and action. This can either inspire us to clean up our acts and serve Him with a fear of the Lord, or it can cause us to try and run the other direction. The truth is, regardless of what you or I believe, we can't out run the mighty hand of God. He has promised to lift up the righteous and to love those who follow his commands, but he has also promised His rod to those who reject His ways. We have to remember to take this in context and know that 1) there is no condemnation in Christ (Romans 8:1), and 2)If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9). When God talks about His wrath for those who will not listen, He is not talking to the believer who finds himself ensnared in sin and is trying to break free, He is talking about those who reject His son, or those who say they accept His Son but then bear no fruit to back up their confession. He is talking about those who bear no fruit.

As believers, we have a decision to make everyday, and that is to either live for Christ or to die to sin. It is not something that you decide once, by accepting Jesus as your Savior, and then just go on living in the world as though nothing has changed. Our actions show our obedience. If our actions our not lining up with our words then we have a serious problem. I'm talking about a consistant pattern here, not an isolated circumstance where someone keeps falling into the same stronghold over and over and knows it is sin and is trying to overcome it. I am talking about those who confess that they love Jesus but then do nothing to make that known to the world, or when asked about it, deny Him completely. God knows our hearts, and it is very dangerous ground to take your relationship with Jesus lightly. As Jesus says in Matthew 7:21-23: "Not everyone who says to me , 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in Your name, and in Your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' Then I will say to them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me you evildoers!'

As Christians we are commanded to share our love for Jesus with the world, we are told to go out and preach the good news to all. If we deny Jesus to the world, then Jesus promises to deny us to His Father.

Again, there is NO CONDEMNATION IN CHRIST. This blog is meant to wake us up to the reality of the Gospel, not to condemn us for the mistakes we have made. We need to be pursuing the kingdom of God, not trying to build our own kingdoms in His name. If we build our own kingdoms THEY WILL FAIL! I'll leave you with a song that Jason Upton wrote about Psalm 2:12 which is very near to my heart and I listen to it often as a reminder that God will not compromise His kingdom in any way for my own; to remind me of my fear of the Lord:

Ladies and Gentlemen
People of the darkness
You've been running for a very long time
Hear the call from the city on the hilltop
the wave is coming can you feel the riptide

We can't run from the mighty hand of God
Either kiss His Son or receive His rod

Some say I'm the man of the evening
Others say I'm the lady of the night
God says I'm your creator
Nobody's faster than the speed of light, I'm coming!

We can't run from the mighty hand of God
Either kiss His Son or receive His rod

Forgive us Lord for holding hands with darkness
Forgive us Lord for idolatry
Forgive us Lord for playing games in Your presence
We yearn for Your intimacy


My prayer is that each and everyone of us, no matter where we are in our walk with God, would seek a deeper, more personal relationship with our Creator. That we will embrace the love He has for us by sharing it with others. I break off the spirit of rebellion, the spirit of condemnation, the spirit of depression, the feeling of not being good enough, the spirit of pride, the spirit of rejection, in the Name of Jesus. We are free to live in Christ, free of all bondage to sin, in the Name of Jesus. I break off the spirit of fear and hopelessness that tries to loom over our lives, in the Mighty Name of Jesus. And I speak the love of God over each every one of our lives, may He bless us and keep each and everyone of us in His righteous right hand. I speak blessings over our lives and I thank You, Lord for your unfailing love. With all thankfulness, I give You honor and praise. Amen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for writing this...God bless you. I found this right when I needed it.
I praise God for this life changing message.