Thursday, February 14, 2008

Trust in Me

I received a new devotional tonight (Thank you Janice!) and was taken back by how the reading for today was right on target with what I had been thinking about. Today's reading was all about trusting God. This sounds like such an easy task to accomplish and the bible is full of scripture advising us to put all of our trust in Him. And as many times as I have read some of my favorite scriptures on trusting in the Lord, (Psalm 37:3, 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, 1 Corinthians 10:13, John 14:1, Nahum 1:7), the simplicity of today's devotional just made a light bulb go off in my head. It's funny how God will use people and things to get our attention and to bring us revelation. The following passage did just that for me, it is taken from Sarah Young's devotional titled, "Jesus Calling":

"Do not give in to fear, or worry, those robbers of abundant living. Trust Me enough to face problems as they come, rather than trying to anticipate them. Fix your eyes on Me, the Author and Perfecter of your faith, and many difficulties on the road ahead will vanish before you reach them. Whenever you start to feel afraid, remember that I am holding your right hand. Nothing can separate you from My presence."

I have always tried my best to trust God for the things that are currently happening in my life, but for some reason I had never thought about trusting Him enough that I do not need to anticipate future needs. I realize that by doing this I am in fact worrying about my future and where there is worry, there is a lack of trust. I am challenging myself to consciously be aware of this and to try to give God not just my current and past situations, but also my future ones as well. They are not for me to worry about. For if I trust my God then I know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28).

I pray that we all learn to not only trust in Him but to also trust Him. No matter what life brings us, or how dark our current circumstance may be, He is a magnificent God who is faithful to His Word. If His Word says we can trust Him then we can take it to the bank. It's a sure thing! I pray that all of us learn to trust in the Lord with all our hearts and to lean not on our own understanding (Proverbs 3:5).

None of us knows what tomorrow will bring, however, we do know that God promises to instruct us and teach us in the way we should go, He promises to counsel us and watch over us (Psalm 32:8) We all need to listen to the words Jesus spoke in John 14:1, "Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, trust also in me." Praise the Lord!!!

No comments: