Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Now is the time

It is so easy to get caught up in making plans in our lives that sometimes we forget to to actually administer the plans we have conjured up in our minds. I often times find myself making checklists in my head of all the things I want to do and say throughout my day, week, month, etc... Even more frequently I find myself contemplating in my mind what I should say or do in certain situations I find myself in. Although we are encouraged to consult the Word in everything we do, how many times do we find ourselves actually DOING those things the Spirit tells us?

I myself tend to have a bit of a casual attitude when it comes to acting the way I am supposed to. This is not because in my mind I do not want to do what is right, but more so that thought and action are sometimes two very opposite concepts in my life. I'm not just referring to struggling with sin as Paul describes in Romans 7. I am talking about having a lot of good ideas but failing to turn those ideas into action; Of knowing the qualities God wants us to possess and show to the world, but keeping them to ourselves and never showing others. God rejoices over our obedience to Him. Obedience is ACTION. God has so many wonderful plans for our lives but in order for the plans to come to pass, we must act on the instructions He has given each of us. It is not just thinking about doing good things, it's about actually DOING them.

I believe this is best described in the Message translation of 2 Corinthians 6:

Companions as we are in this work with you, we beg you, please don't squander one bit of this marvelous life God has given us. God reminds us,

I heard your call in the nick of time;
The day you needed me, I was there to help.

Well, now is the time to listen, the day to be helped. Don't put off; don't frustrate God's work by showing up late, throwing a question mark over everything we are doing. our work as God's servants gets validated -or not- in the details. people are watching us as we stay at our post, alertly, unswervingly... in hard times, tough times, bad times; when we're beaten up, jailed, and mobbed; working hard, working late, working without eating; with pure heart, clear head, steady hand; in gentleness, holiness, and honest love; when we're telling the truth, and when God's showing His power; when we're doing our best, setting things right; when we're praised, and when we're blamed; slandered, and honored; true to our word, though distrusted; ignored by the world, but recognized by God; terrifically alive, though rumored to be dead; beaten within an inch of our lives, but refusing to die; immersed in tears, yet always filled with deep joy; living on handouts, yet enriching many; having nothing, having it all.


Now is the time to act on what we believe. In fact now is the time to act even if we don't feel like we believe. If God says we should be doing something, then that's what we should do. If His Word tells us we should be living and acting a certain way, then that's how we should be living or acting. No excuses! Now is the time to represent Christ the way God admonishes us to do. Now is the time for us to be salt unto the world and to turn up the Jesus juice! Praise be to God!

No comments: