Monday, November 19, 2007

Great is Thy Faithfulness

If we are faithless, He will remain faithful, for He cannot disown Himself (2 Timothy 2:13)

So tonight I've been lamenting over my past. Not in a negative, self-condeming way, but in more of a kick-myself-in the butt, stop being lazy, it's time to change kind of way. The closer my relationship is with Jesus, the more I realize how many years of my life I wasted trying to live without Him. I look back on all of the stupid decisions I made and I wonder what it would have been like had I submitted to God's will in my life. Even though this deeply saddens my heart, it also makes me realize how greatful I am that He has stolen my heart and won't give it back. I would be absolutely nothing without Him. I would be in Hell right now had Jesus not swept me off of my feet and drawn me close to Him with His unfailing love. I am so thankful that god is ALWAYS faithful to His Word. God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind (Numbers 23:19).

Praise the Lord that even in my unfaithfulness, He remains faithful. Even as my tongue decieves, he remains upright and just. Even though we live in a fallen world full of deception, hurt, confusion, and pain, He remains unchanged. Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever (Hebrews 13:8). I am eternally grateful that my heart belongs to Him.

My heart aches for those who do not know Him. It aches even more for those who know who He is but don't have a relationship with Him. It is one thing to know who someone is and a whole other thing to know them. Some people spend their lives knowing Him as a distant friend, a relative they talk to during the holidays and on special occasions. Others seem to only talk to Him in anger, when tragedy strikes their lives. They are so quick to blame Him rather than accept the comfort He offers in their sorrows. In fact they blame Him for every bad thing that has happend in their lives and attribute the good things to their own strength or even better, to luck. This pierces my heart in a way I can't begin to describe. I was once that person. I was quick to believe that all of the abuse, the poverty, and the sickness in my life was all thanks to God. I was convinced that He was punishing me for things that I had done wrong in my life. Even the things that happend to me as a child, I believed I deserved every last one of them. I, like so many others was raised in religion. I was taught that wrong is right come sunday morning. As long as my father went to church on Sundays and repented, then it was perfectly acceptable for Him to continue to abuse his children the rest of the week. And so it was with life. By the time I had become a teenager, I had so much anger and hatred in my heart toward God. I had grown accustomed to playing the role of the victim and I even looked for opportunities to improve that resume. I believe this was a family trait.

I will never understand how it was that God was able to take my heart which was so shut off to Him and so completely consumed with anger and depression, and transform it into what it is today. For today I am filled with unexplainable joy. Even through the hard times I have the comfort of knowing that I serve a God that is greater than any circumstance the world throws at me. Not only that, but I serve a God who promises to help those who seek Him. I encourage anyone who is struggling in this world to meditate on God's promises. Get to know Him and what He says about you. Once you begin to let Him into your heart I promise that the transformation that occurs will be so great that the joy it brings will be far greater than any pain you experienced in your past. He is so worth it!!! I will leave you with the following promises that God has made to His people:

I love those who love me, and those who seek me find me (Proverbs 8:17)

Now then, my sons, listen to me; blessed are those who keep my ways (Proverbs 8:32)

Cast your cares on the LORD and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall (Psalm 55:22)

Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest (Matthew 11:28)

I tell you the truth, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death (John 8:51)

I will not violate my covenant or alter what my lips have uttered (Psalm 89:34)

I will bless her with abundant provisions; her poor will I satisfy with food (Psalm 132:15)

He will love you and bless you and increase your numbers. He will bless the fruit of your womb, the crops of your land—your grain, new wine and oil—the calves of your herds and the lambs of your flocks in the land that he swore to your forefathers to give you (Deuteronomy 7:13)

My son, do not forget my teaching, but keep my commands in your heart,
for they will prolong your life many years and bring you prosperity.
Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart.
Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.
Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes; fear the LORD and shun evil.
This will bring health to your body and nourishment to your bones.
Honor the LORD with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops;
then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over
with new wine.
(Proverbs 3:1-10)

No comments: