Sunday, November 18, 2007

Rejoice Rejoice!

Rejoice in the Lord always. Again I will say, rejoice!

This scripture has been in my heart and on my tongue since the moment I woke up this morning. What a wonderful song to awaken to. Through both worship services today this verse was louder than any other being sung. This scripture is a twofold message. At first glance, it appears as a reminder to rejoice in the Lord. However, if you look deeper, you will see that Paul didn't write this during gleeful times. In fact he wrote it during times of despair. In the natural, he had nothing to rejoice about. He was imprisoned, and not only that but he was chained, by the hand, to a praetorian guardsman day and night. Yet in the midst of that he cries out to the Philippians to rejoice!!!

Paul knew that even though he was in the midst of the fires of affliction that the Lord is in control and has a purpose for his life. Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, for I know that through your prayers and the help given by the Spirit of Jesus Christ, what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance (v. 19).

Life becomes so much easier when we stop striving and stop letting our circumstances determine our feelings and actions and instead start truely believing in our God who IS in control of our lives. Who promises that if we seek Him and fix our eyes on Him that "in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to his purpose" (Romans 8:28).

My goal today is to be more like Paul and to rejoice in any and all circumstances. I long to someday confidently speak the words Paul spoke in Philippians 4, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through Him who gives me strength. (Philippians 4:11-13)

Lord, I will meditate on your word both day and night so that it will not depart from mouth (Joshua 1:8), I will hide Your Word in my heart so that I might not sin against You (Psalm 119:11), and I WILL rejoice in You ALWAYS!!!

No comments: