Wednesday, December 12, 2007

His last Words

But you have an annointing from the Holy One, and all of you know the truth (1 John 2:20). I have been reminded several times this week that my job as a Christian is to share Jesus Christ with those who are far from Him. I think Kim Klaudt put it best last week when he was a guest speaker at my church. He gave a sermon entitled "The Last Thing He Said." For those of you who get the chance, here is the link to the sermon (it's pretty amazing!) http://www.vfgarner.com/media/audio/sermon_archive/sunday_12-02-07-2nd_kimklaudt.mp3



To summarize, Kim talked about how if we knew the exact date and time we were going to die, we would most likely make sure that the last words we spoke to our loved ones would be well thought out and extremely important. He reminds us that Jesus was most likely the same way. The last words He said to his disciples were pretty important words. He said to them, "Go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation" (Mark 16:15). Yet so many of us neglect that very simple command. We forget that the last thing our Lord and Savior said while He was still on earth was for us to go and preach His Word. This is the last thing he asked us to do. How could we forget His last words?

I know that personally I have always been afraid that I am not "qualified" for such a mighty task. I am not as "churched" as other people. However, Jesus was talking to His disciples as well as the body of Christ when He gave His final command. He didn't say "some of you go and preach tthe good news", He was talking to all of us. pastor Mitch reminded me tonight of 1 John 2:27 which says, "As for you, the annointing you received from him remains in you, and you do not need anyone to teach you." Once we are saved, God's annointing is in us always. It doesn't just disappear or take a vacation. When I start to worry about how to share the gospel or what words I will use, I remind myself of what Paul said in Ephesians 6:19, Pray that I'll know what to say and have the courage to say it at the right time, telling the mystery to one and all (The Message).

It's time to practice simple obedience. Let us start by following Jesus' command to preach the good news to everyone. Let us go and make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:19) To God be all the glory!

No comments: