Friday, January 23, 2009

No more lip service

You are always on their lips but far from their hearts (Jeremiah 12:2). If you repent, I will restore you that you may serve me; if you utter worthy, not worthless, words, you will be my spokesman. (Jeremiah 15:19)

I am so tired of giving God my lip service. Of praising Him when I am alone but then being so distracted in the world that I forget to honor Him publicly. It's not that He isn't always on my mind throughout my day or that I am not striving to always pray, it is more so the fact that I realize I don't preach the gospel as I should. I don't speak out loud the wondrous things he has spoken to my heart. I do not share His love with others. I have a few co-workers I have the privilege of sharing Christ with and I am always talking about Jesus with my fellow Christian friends. However, I feel like I am somehow missing the point of the Great Commission. I continually wait for God to open up doors to create a forum in which I can share His word with others. While I realize that I have to allow the Holy Spirit to work and to open these doors, I also know that I have had hundreds of opportunities that He has created for me to share His love for others and I have neglected to do so.

Today I am going to try to become more active for Christ by truly sharing His word and His love with others. I realize this means not being afraid to open up my mouth and to speak the words He has put there. Just like Jeremiah I tend to feel like I am only a child and do not have the words to speak (Jeremiah 2). Then I realize that is because I keep trying to find my own words to speak rather than letting He who saves speak through me. Today I become a spokesperson for God and I refuse to just offer Him my lip service. I dedicate my entire life to the One who is Faithful. Amen

No comments: