Friday, April 25, 2008

Tuning in to God

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God (Hebrews 12:2)

Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things (Colossians 3:2)


Wow, God is soooo completely amazing! I feel like in the past few weeks He just has me going at mach 3 but feeling completely at rest the entire time. He has really shown me how to rest in Him even when things are busy around me. Even when He is busy developing my character and softening my heart. The biggest thing he has taught me lately is to focus on Him.

For years I have heard people quote Hebrews 12:2 and Colossians 3:2 which talk about keeping our eyes on Jesus. I decided in the past few weeks to really put that scripture to work in my life. Everytime my mind has tried to drift off and think about things of this world that have me stressed or confused or worried, I have made the decision not to dwell on such thoughts. Instead I have shifted my mind to things above. I have learned to not only take every thought captive and to make it obedient to Christ, but also to keep my eyes fixed in Him in any and every situation. He is my life, my reason for breath, therefore leaving Him out of my thoughts would essentially be like holding my breath and refusing to breathe.

The result of my thoughts being constantly fixated on Jesus are indecribable. It's as though I have brand new ears to hear the wonderful things he has been whispering to me. I no longer feel like I am struggling to hear His voice. He has been singing over me and guiding me with His words. Last night God spoke something to my heart that truely touched me that I feel led to share:

"You've been too long upon that mountain, it's time you journey to the sea. It is time that you step outside of your comfort zone. The zone, while appearing to be safe, will restrict all growth. By staying there, you are choosing to put up walls between yourself and Me. By staying in your comfort zone I can not develop your character. I can not mold you into the masterpiece I predestined you to be. You have robbed the potter of His wheel and all of his sculpting tools. Let Me shape you. Trust Me, for the plans I have for you are plans to prosper you and to give you a hope. Hold onto me and I will direct your path and order your steps. The first step you must take is out of your comfort zone. Although this may be difficult at first, let Me be your strength. Remember that I will never give you more than you can bear. Come and journey to the sea with Me for I promise good to those who put their trust in Me. Step out in faith today and your reward will be great indeed."

Now I have no idea specifically where God is calling me, where the sea is, but I know that I am going to let Him lead me there. I have learned that He is a lot more trustworthy and accurate than myself. I praise Him every day for being such an amazing Father and for all the gifts that he is pouring down from heaven on my life. To God be ALL the glory!

1 comment:

Janice said...

Oh Dear AJ - I am so excited for you! When you say "YES" to God, He will begin to move....I can't wait to see what the 'sea' is!

Isaiah 42:16 - "I will lead the blind by ways they have not known, along unfamiliar paths I will guide them; I will turn the darkness into light before them and make the rough places smooth. These are the things I will do; I will not forsake them."

Psalm 43:3 "Send forth your light and your truth, let them guide me; let them bring me to your holy mountain, to the place where you dwell."
In His Love, Janice