Thursday, March 6, 2008

Craving Intimacy

Days like these make it hard to breathe. Not because anything bad happened in my life, but because of the love and joy that is in my heart. I am so overwhelmed with emotion when I think about Jesus and what He did for me. I know a lot of people say that Jesus is there Savior and that they love Him, but to many the words they speak never make it past their minds to penetrate their hearts. Everyday that I live my goal is to become more and more like Christ. In order to get to know someone intimately, you must spend time with them. Even more so, we desire to be around those we are intimate with. We crave it with every fiber of our being. This is how we should feel about our personal relationship with Christ. God longs for intimacy with each and everyone of us. Not in some distant, liturgical, mass production kind of way, but in an extremely personal, unique and intimate way.

I find that the closer I get to God and the more time I spend with Him, the more I desire and crave His presence in my life. I have withdrawal when I feel cut off from Him in any way whether it be because of the world or because of my own disobedience. I am so grateful to know that my feeling that way does not effect God's level of intimacy with me at all. Even though I may feel distant from Him, He is never distant from me. Yes my sin separates me from Him but that is because of me, not Him. He is holy and therefore can not be in the presence of sin. I get to make decisions everyday to either draw near to Him in obedience, or to run away in disobedience. Draw near to God and He will draw near to you (James 4:8) Below are some scriptures were God reveals His will for us to be intimate with Him.

God who as called you into fellowship with his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, is faithful (1 Corinthians 1:9)

I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends... (John 15:15)


Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you. For you granted him authority over all people that he might give eternal life to all those you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. (John 17:1-3)


"You are my witnesses", declares the Lord, "and my servant whom I have chosen, so that you may know and believe me and understand that I am he... (Isaiah 43:10)


God wants to know each and every one of us on an intimate level. He calls us friend. How awesome is that? The Creator of the universe calls us friend! That alone is enough to make my heart overflow with joy. Let us take time to get to know Him more, so that our hearts will long for Him the way He lovingly longs for us.

No comments: